What was this delivery, you ask? A shipment of books, of course! What could be better really?
I had ordered books with my Christmas money from a used book retailer called Thriftbooks. Let me tell you now, they are a bibliophile's dream come true. I ordered 9 books for around $35, including shipping! Considering I could have only bought two or three books at Barnes and Noble for the same price, I'm a happy camper. Of course, the books I ordered are used, and that being said, they have retained some character from their past lives. This may bother some--in fact, I thought it might bother me--but for the price, I really have little to complain about.
So, if you are like me, and have an insatiable need to fill your shelves, closets, and every nook and cranny with books, but you are also not willing to spend $15 or more for one book, this may be your answer.
In case you are curious, here is a list of what I got:
- In Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson
- I'm A Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson
- A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson (noticing a pattern?)
- A Book of Narnians: The Lion, The Witch and Others by C.S. Lewis, illustrated by Susan Bates
- The Motley Fool Investment Guide for Teens (can't start too young, right?)
- Walking With Frodo by Sarah Arthur (it is autographed, which was a fun bonus!)
- The Essential C.S. Lewis (includes Perelandra)
- Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis
- That Hideous Strength by C.S. Lewis
And, just in case you are a Narnia nerd and don't know this (I didn't), C.S. Lewis wrote a science fiction trilogy, which I now own all of--thanks to this shipment of books. I don't know when I'll have time to read them, but once I do, I'll certainly write a little something about them. However, it is C.S. Lewis, so I have no doubt that the quality will be to par, if not exceed, what I have read of his so far.