New (To Me) Books

     There is worse than trudging out to your mail box in sub-zero temperatures (we are talking -15 here) and getting your fingers nearly fused to the freezing metal. On the other hand, there is nothing better than receiving a parcel in the mail. I have to say, that's why I love checking the mail--that off chance that something special will arrive. Of course, I was expecting a package, but it was still a pleasant surprise to find it had arrived safely to my proverbial Arctic doorstep.
 
     What was this delivery, you ask? A shipment of books, of course! What could be better really?


     I had ordered books with my Christmas money from a used book retailer called Thriftbooks. Let me tell you now, they are a bibliophile's dream come true. I ordered 9 books for around $35, including shipping! Considering I could have only bought two or three books at Barnes and Noble for the same price, I'm a happy camper. Of course, the books I ordered are used, and that being said, they have retained some character from their past lives. This may bother some--in fact, I thought it might bother me--but for the price, I really have little to complain about.

     So, if you are like me, and have an insatiable need to fill your shelves, closets, and every nook and cranny with books, but you are also not willing to spend $15 or more for one book, this may be your answer.

     In case you are curious, here is a list of what I got:

  • In Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson
  • I'm A Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson
  • A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson (noticing a pattern?)
  • A Book of Narnians: The Lion, The Witch and Others by C.S. Lewis, illustrated by Susan Bates
  • The Motley Fool Investment Guide for Teens (can't start too young, right?)
  • Walking With Frodo by Sarah Arthur (it is autographed, which was a fun bonus!)
  • The Essential C.S. Lewis (includes Perelandra)
  • Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis
  • That Hideous Strength by C.S. Lewis

     And, just in case you are a Narnia nerd and don't know this (I didn't), C.S. Lewis wrote a science fiction trilogy, which I now own all of--thanks to this shipment of books. I don't know when I'll have time to read them, but once I do, I'll certainly write a little something about them. However, it is C.S. Lewis, so I have no doubt that the quality will be to par, if not exceed, what I have read of his so far.

1 comment:

  1. I really love old books, they tell a story inside and out, with all of the tears, stains, and random folded or doodled-on pages. I love to make up stroies about these little imperfections, from a mother that has her hands full that drops the book to a teen who draws the characters on the margins. AHH, brings back memories!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a note! I love hearing what my readers have to say--in fact, comments literally make my day.

Please be nice and don't use profanities or other negative language.