Series Sunday: Of The Fantastic Variety

     I have decided to start my first series on my blog: Series Sunday (alliteration is cheesy, I know... but I couldn't resist). To stay true to my love for reading and literature, I figured why not have a series about my favorite books series?

     Personally, I am always on the hunt for new book series to read. While single books are great, series give more opportunity to establish characters, plot, and far more time for me to get attached to the characters. Also, after finishing a series, I always feel a little regretful about it. Granted, the characters are all fictional--but still.

     Anyway, every Sunday (for the next six weeks), I'll be sharing some of my favorite book series with you--generally loosely grouped by genre, just because I like things to retain some sense of order. Now, let's begin, shall we?

1. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

via Amazon

     This was the first "real" book series I ever read. My dad bought me the 50th anniversary boxed set for my seventh birthday and we read the first three together, and then I basically took off and read the rest on my own. The story telling is not the most complex; however, the imagination of the land of Narnia, and the unique qualities of its inhabitants make it, by far, one of my favorite series to date. In fact, I still read these books at least once a year--eleven years later. Oh, and my favorite character--by far--is Reepicheep, the gallant mouse.


2. Time Travel Quartet by Madeleine L'Engle

via Amazon
     The Quartet includes A Wrinkle In Time, A Wind in the Door, Many Waters, and A Swiftly Tilting Planet. I love them all, but my favorite two are probably A Wind in the Door and Many Waters. This was my mom's favorite series as a kid, and I got these for my birthday some time ago as well. As far as synopsis goes, each of these books tells a wonderfully cosmic story about the time (and space) travelling of the Murry family's four children. They really opened the door to L'Engle's other works which have supplied me years of entertainment, and frankly durable readability.


3. Peter and the Star Catchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson

via Amazon
     I'll admit, I haven't read these in a few years; however, I own all of them, and haven't sold them to the second hand bookstore over the years, and that shows something. What I do remember is enjoying Barry and Pearson's swashbuckling story telling, which was whimsical, yet simultaneously dark. Frankly, seeing a "Peter Pan" character that didn't wear tights was rather nice. These books, which follow the escapades of a young orphan boy named Peter, are definitely a series for youngsters and the young at heart alike. The trilogy includes Peter and the Starcatchers, Peter and the Shadow Thieves, and Peter and the Secret of Rundoon. 
   
     Note: Upon further research, I found there are at least two more of these books now. I haven't read    them, but the first three were quite good--especially considering it was a book published by Disney (which really isn't a surprise, now is it?).

    Most of them (okay, all of them) are YA books; however, I have found I do still enjoy those thoroughly--so, really, why stop reading them? I hope you found this helpful, as well. I hate it when I can't find a good set of books to read. There is nothing more frustrating than being in a library or book store--a literal treasure trove of type and text--and not being able to find something worth reading. Well, there are things more frustrating. Like losing car keys, or leaving homework at home, or getting locked out of the house on a cold winter's day; but for the sake of dramatic effect, let's pretend standing flabbergasted in a library is, indeed, the most frustrating thing imaginable.

     Now, enough of my rambling. I'm curious to know, what is your favorite series? I would love suggestions (even though the quantity of books on my "to read" queue is already outrageous). And don't forget to check in next week for some more of my favorite series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a note! I love hearing what my readers have to say--in fact, comments literally make my day.

Please be nice and don't use profanities or other negative language.