The Game Plan for Lent 2012

   
     Often times, lent is a time when people choose to give something up. Ice cream, junk food, soda, TV, Facebook (I did that last year), and a plethora of other things. Giving up something is great. After all, lent is 40 days, which is the amount of time Jesus was tempted in the desert by Satan. So, in that metaphorical sense, giving something up is a great idea, and there is nothing wrong with that.

     After observing lent for quite a few years, I myself have found giving things up isn't really that symbolic to me. Sure, giving up Facebook, chocolate and ice cream was challenging, but it wasn't really that hard. I mean, I didn't really have to put in any extra effort not to do those things... Know what I mean?

     So this year, I'm going to do something different. I'm going to add something to my day--every day--for 40 days. I've decided to set aside time every day to read my Bible.

     I realize a lot of people have this worked into their daily routines already, and I really do admire that. For me, I've usually read the Bible in spurts (which is pretty bad, really). Just as an example, every New Year I resolve to read the Bible every day. This usually lasts until late January and then I put it off a day, then another day, then another, and then *poof* the resolve is gone. But this time, I'm going to do it. I'm making it a personal challenge for myself, and by golly, it's going to get done.

     I know this will take a lot more effort for me than giving up soda, candy, or the like--but that's why it means so much more to me.

     To everyone else, good luck with this year's lent season. It does start tomorrow. Just so you all know (though I'm sure you do)...

     God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a note! I love hearing what my readers have to say--in fact, comments literally make my day.

Please be nice and don't use profanities or other negative language.