Series Sunday: Christian Chick-Lit (Part I)

    As a Christian, I have enjoyed many a series penned by authors of my faith. Reason being, I enjoy being able to read books with my guard down for any "sketchy" scenes or material. Plus, these series were just plain fun to read. I like to think of them as chick flicks in novel format. This list, in particular, features protagonists who are extremely sarcastic, with plenty of human quirks we all can probably relate to.

1. The Maya Davis Series by Erynn Mangum
via Amazon
     The Maya Davis series is about (guess who?) Maya Davis--a girl with an English degree who works as a barista at a coffee shop called Cool Beans (cute, huh?). Maya is basically happy with her job, family, and single status, until her roommate starts dating her high school sweetheart. This series charts Maya's life as she works through her struggles and eventually finds happiness (with God's help, of course).

2. The Lauren Holbrook Series by Erynn Mangum


     This series, which is loosely based on Jane Austen's Emma is about Laurie Halbrook--a professional photographer and amateur matchmaker. Told in first person narrative form, Laurie is extremely sarcastic and clever, which makes the books very enjoyable. The books follow her in her triumphs and follies as she meddles with other people's lives, and eventually finds a match of her own. Characteristic of Erynn Mangum's books, Laurie is a chocoholic and caffeine addict--and extremely so at that.

3. A Charmed Life Series by Jenny B. Jones


     I was actually introduced to this series when I won the first book in a giveaway from Susie Magazine. And, just a small aside, if you are a teenage Christian girl, you may want to look into getting a subscription. Anyway, this series features a wannabe journalist named Bella--a girl who has lived a "charmed life" as the series title suggests. Bella Kirkwood is the daughter of a plastic surgeon who spent most of her life in New York. After her parents get a divorce, Bella is forced to move to a rural town in Oklahoma with her mom to live with her new step family. The books chronicle Bella's adjustments to life in the "boonies" and also as she steps into the shoes of the town's "detective," or investigative journalist. 

     
     All of these series made me literally laugh out loud on multiple occasions, which is a rare thing for me. Hopefully, you will enjoy them as well. 

     If you enjoyed this, be sure to tune back in in two weeks for part II of my Christian Chick-Lit list! That's right, Series Sunday will be taking a one week break. Don't cry too hard though. You can use the time to start reading one of these books!

P.S. 
Do you have any Christian Chick-Lit suggestions? I would love to get recommendations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a note! I love hearing what my readers have to say--in fact, comments literally make my day.

Please be nice and don't use profanities or other negative language.