Series Sunday: Christian Chick-Lit (Part II)

     Series Sunday is back from it's one week break! Ready to see some more of my favorite Christian Chick-Lit picks? If you missed Christian Chick-Lit Part I, don't forget to go check that out as well. :O)

1. Christy Miller by Robin Jones Gunn
     The Christy Miller series is good for middle school or high school girls. I read them in seventh grade when I was stuck at home with mono. I would get so bored at home, until my mom bought me the first one from our local Christian bookstore (which, unfortunately went out of business years ago). This series tells the story of Christy, a barely 16 year old girl whose family moves to California from a rural farming community somewhere in the mid-west. 

     In California, Christy establishes great new friendships, and becomes a disciple of Christ. Oh. Did I mention one of her new friends is a Christian surfer named Todd? He's important later. Very important.

     Also, for older readers (Multonomah suggests 15 and up), there is a follow up series called Christy and Todd: The College Years. These were rather slow paced for me, but if you like chick-flicks, and get caught up in romantic stories, I suppose you might like them.

     My only criticism for this series is that Christy can get kind of tiresome. She is kind of shy, sometimes a little whiny, and her character tends to be a little flat. However, as a middle schooler and even as a freshmen rereading the series, I never noticed. It wasn't until I took a peek at them recently that I came up with these criticisms. Anyway, my point is, teenage girls will enjoy this series (I got many of my friends addicted to them, back in the day).

2. Katie Weldon by Robin Jones Gunn

     The Katie Weldon series is a spin-off of the Christy Miller series, although you don't have to read Christy Miller to thoroughly enjoy these. The Katie books are in the adult Christian fiction section, whereas Christy Miller is in the YA section--and their placement is for good reason, I believe. Katie, as a character doesn't have any of the whiny, or flat features like Christy. Overall, she is a far more dynamic, and human protagonist. So, I have no complaints about this series and recommend it--heavily--for basically all ages high school and beyond. 

     The series follows Katie through her junior and senior college years as she struggles with finances, declaring her major, and (of course) potential romance. As I said earlier, Katie is not a flat character, in fact she is often quirky and even funny, quite unlike Christy. 


3. Diary of a Teenage Girl: Kim by Melody Carlson

     There are four sub-series in the Diary of a Teenage Girl set: Caitlyn, Chloe, Kim, and Maya. I've read them all, but the Kim series is the only one I would recommend (well... maybe the Chloe series too). The others were just so-so, and to be honest, each sub-series contains rather repetitive story lines. Of course, back when I was in 8th and 9th grade, I didn't think to stop reading them because of it. I just kept on reading them, and kept on getting slightly annoyed by the redundant plots.

     This being said, the Kim series was they one I enjoyed the most, and as a stand alone series is quite good. The books are about Kim, an adopted South Korean girl, and her struggles with finding faith, making a name for herself as an advice columnist, and enduring her mother's terminal ovarian cancer. At times, the story is really sad--like sad to the point of almost inducing tears. But, it ends happily (no fear, optimists!).

     I would recommend these books for older girls. Maybe 14 and up? 13 and up? I don't know... I'm not a mom, so setting guidelines for my practical peers is somewhat difficult.


     So, that wraps up the Christian Chick-Lit lists. Come back next week for the last Series Sunday (for now)... Next Sunday I will be telling you about my favorite "action" series. :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a note! I love hearing what my readers have to say--in fact, comments literally make my day.

Please be nice and don't use profanities or other negative language.