Series Sunday: Of the Furry Sort

     Ever since the day I picked up Redwall from my elementary school library's dusty shelves, I have been hooked on books about animals. I'm not sure what to call this genre other than anthromorphic fantasy, although, I'm almost positive that isn't the right title. At any rate, Redwall was my first time reading a "big" book (meaning over 300 pages), and because of that I will always remember it fondly. Yes, I'm a book nerd, and I know it.

     All of the following series are definite YA's. However, the first one especially is still enjoyable for older audiences. The last two are probably best suited for younger readers. Enjoy...

1. The Redwall Series by Brian Jacques


     As I mentioned above, the Redwall books hold a special place in my book loving heart. Really, who could read about little mice, rabbits, moles, and squirrels living in such a tranquil place as Redwall Abbey and not feel at peace with the world? And then, when the evil stoats, weasels, and rats come to attack, how can one help but feel nervous for the well being of the peaceful (rodent) folk of the Abbey? I will admit, the story lines can be somewhat redundant from book to book--the Abbey is attacked by some form of less than savory rodent, the humble Abbey folk manage to fend for themselves using staves, kitchen utensils, and other household items, and then everyone lives happily ever after until the next onslaught of evil drops by. Also, the Long Patrol Hares assist in nearly every book as well; and also the Guossom shrews. Even so, the books each feature adorably brave little heroes and heroines, and good always wins--and that combination makes every book of the series as appealing as the last.
   
     Although they are all wonderful books, my favorites are Triss, Redwall, Martin the Warrior, and Mariel of Redwall.

2. The Guardians of Ga' Hoole by Kathryn Lasky


     I first read these books in the fifth grade. I only read books 1-8, although there are apparently 15 total now. Really, the series could be only six books long--and really, that was probably the original intent. The Guardians of Ga' Hoole series follows a band of young owls in their journey to the legendary tree of Ga' Hoole, as well as their struggles against the villainous "Pure Ones"--a group of barn owl supremacists. As silly as it sounds, the series was very engaging (at least, when I was in fifth grade). I still have fond memories of reading these in elementary school.


3. Warriors by Erin Hunter


   The Warriors series follows the journey of a once domestic cat called Firepaw during his life in the Thunder Clan--a clan of wild cats. Let me tell you, I hate cats in real life, but these books were very entertaining. The plot is quite twisted, and yet comes together so nicely in the end. I never thought there would be a time when I could say I liked cats, but while I read these books, I did rather like them. Erin Hunter did write two more spin-off series based on the Warriors books; however, I only read the first six which comprise the "First Prophecy." I would recommend these books for younger readers, although they are probably still enjoyable for older readers who enjoy books such as Redwall.


     I hope you found that informative. Perhaps you can pick some of these up on your next trip to the library. :0)

     Don't forget to check in next week for even more of Series Sunday! (Next week, I'll be giving a list of some of my favorite chick-lit series.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a note! I love hearing what my readers have to say--in fact, comments literally make my day.

Please be nice and don't use profanities or other negative language.