Handmade Thank You Cards

     Want to see some of my latest linoblock printing creations? Naturally, after a birthday, one should send thank you cards. I like doing this, but I don't like the cards at the store. So, I made my own (this tends to be my thought process on many things... if you can't find it, make it yourself).

     So, what I did was I decided on a phrase I wanted. I settled on "Gee, Thanks." Short. Sweet. Simple. Done.

     To make this work, I had to draw all my letters backwards. To check that they looked good, I looked at the block in front of a mirror. Everything was to my liking, so I started cutting.

     First, I traced around the letters with the smallest "v" shaped gouge.


     Then, I used the "u" shaped cutters to carve out around the letters.


     Once I was done carving the block, I started printing... And ended up with these!


     I'm pretty happy with them, and I didn't gouge myself while carving the block, which is a great success in my book. And, in case you're wondering, I'm using the basic water soluble Speedball inks. Although they had poor reviews online, they work perfectly well for me.

     Then again, I'm still a beginner, so I don't know what supplies are "good" or "bad." It's kind of like when you first learn to color you use Crayola, or when you first learn to knit you use that Red Heart Super Saver yarn. Then, once you know better you start using Prismacolor colored pencils (well... for the record, I still use Crayola), and nicer yarns like Cascade or the like. That's just how learning a craft goes, though.

     Gee, thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

  1. I love these. I do a lot of crafting, but I've never considered block printing. I might have to try! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a try! If you want to get supplies, here is a post about what I ordered online. I just received the box from Dick Blick last weekend, and I've been carving and printing away since! http://clickclackclunk.blogspot.com/2012/03/build-your-own-linoleum-cutting-kit.html

      Delete
  2. I just got married last week and have been looking to make my own cards - I can't get into store-bought ones either! I have some linoblock cutting tools so I may have to start there. Thanks for the inspiration! Where to you buy your paper cards/envelopes? Or do you cut your own?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! I usually buy blank card/envelope packs from JoAnns or Michaels. If you get a really big pack and use a 40% off coupon (which they always have around), you can get a pretty good price. They even have some nicer packs with deckled edges, which might be nice for more formal things.

      These ones were just hand cut "post-card" style at home. They are a heavy weight, but inexpensive bristol. Also, if you are buying tools, don't get a baren. I just use the back of a wooden spoon to rub the ink onto the paper.

      Delete
  3. Love this idea, Lauren! I actually got the carving tools to carve out the outside of my pumpkin last fall. Now I need to get some lino blocks and get to carving! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Glad to be of some help. Delighted, in fact!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I suppose you could use this technique for business cards and such--but it would take a lot of time.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving me a note! I love hearing what my readers have to say--in fact, comments literally make my day.

Please be nice and don't use profanities or other negative language.