Just Read: Rose Daughter

     Right now, I'm reading Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley. I've read a few of her books before--Spindle's End, Beauty, and Chalice--and they never disappoint. Rose Daughter is no exception.

     This book is McKinley's second telling of the tale as old as time, Beauty and the Beast (her first is simply titled Beauty which is for younger readers... I read it in sixth grade). However, don't expect a Disney rendition full of goofy talking furniture. Instead of filling her story with childlike whimsy, McKinley takes her story telling to a higher level, making the character interactions seem natural, rather than jerky and awkward as some authors tend to do. Also, her descriptions are lush and enchanting in the best sort of way possible.

     As with all of McKinley's books (that I have read so far), my only criticism is that the endings come too fast without complete resolution. This is probably partially because her books are so good, but I also think her conclusions tend to be a little abrupt. Still, McKinley's story telling is enrapturing enough to make the endings not matter so much.

     Granted, if you don't like fairy tales, you probably won't like this. On the other hand, if you adore fairy tales, I highly recommend this book. And don't be put off by its YA classification. This is one of those books that falls somewhere in between and can appeal to all ages--of this, I am sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a note! I love hearing what my readers have to say--in fact, comments literally make my day.

Please be nice and don't use profanities or other negative language.