Guess What...


Today was my first time voting. My third "big" thing as a legal adult. My first was getting my "I'm-not-a-minor" library card, my second was registering to vote, and my third was actually voting.

While I was in line to vote, I heard a someone behind me yammering on and on about how they "wouldn't be surprised if they were the youngest one there" because they "had no faith in their generation." The initial reaction (internal, of course), was "Shut up buddy! I'm younger than you and I'd bet my favorite books on it!" 

My secondary reaction was one of indignation (which, was the same as the first, I suppose). Why should people not have faith in our generation? Why should we not have faith in our own generation? Granted, I go through times when I do lose faith (mainly when I see the minority of my peers acting like idiots), but all in all,  we aren't so bad. 

At any rate, I want to encourage my peers to not lose faith in themselves. Don't become jaded. We can make a difference and we will. I don't know if this is a newsflash, but we aren't little kids anymore, and it's time to start acting like it. Get out there! Vote! Volunteer! Be a leader in your community! Believe it or not, it's not really that hard to do--it just takes a little extra time and effort on your part. 

I don't care if you are right or left wing--just go and fight for the change you want to see. Or better yet, as Gandhi once said, be the change you want to see. Don't wait for people to do it for you, because, frankly, it isn't going to happen. Don't say you'll do it later. Now is the time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a note! I love hearing what my readers have to say--in fact, comments literally make my day.

Please be nice and don't use profanities or other negative language.