The Bibliofiles: Dystopias

I've decided reading is too much a part of my life to not include it regularly on my blog. For this reason, I've decided on having a regular feature called The Bibliophiles (clever, right? I'm quite pleased with myself). I'm pretty excited. This is just another step towards shaping this blog into a better reflection of the things I love. It won't be a weekly feature like my Series Sunday feature. It'll be something I run after I read something I feel you all would enjoy.

Without further ado, let's begin.

Lately, I've read a couple of "dystopia" style books that my friend lent me. If you liked the Hunger Games trilogy, I would recommend these books. They weren't quite as good, but they were entertaining reads, nonetheless.

First, comes the book  Maze Runner. I believe it is the first of a trilogy, and the concept is really interesting. Basically, the story follows a boy named Thomas who has been delivered to an odd colony of boys set in the middle of a maze. Thomas has no recollection of who he is, except his name. The maze is home to deadly creatures called Grievers, and yet, the boys are forced to run the maze every day in hopes of finding a way out.

The story was very interesting, but the prose was almost too stark for my preferences. I felt like the plot took a while to really get going. I would say it was worth it in the end.


Next is Unwindby Neal Shusterman. This book takes place in a time after the "Heartland War," which was essentially a second civil war between the pro-life and pro-choice divide. The war resulted in a treaty which ended abortion, but allowed parents to "unwind" their children between the ages of 13 and 18. "Unwinding" essentially means to harvest body parts and give them to people who are in need. Every body part must be used, under the law, so in this way (the ideology goes) that they child continues living--just in a divided state.

The story itself focuses around three teens--Connor, Lev, and Risa--who attempt to escape being unwound. What follows is a suspenseful tale that will keep you up until 3 AM (guilty...), but more than anything, will make you think. I thoroughly recommend this one.

NOTE: Shusterman really doesn't make his personal point of view regarding pro-choice and pro-life known in the course of his story telling. He doesn't force his beliefs on the reader--which I respect, immensely.

Hope you enjoy these! Happy reading, folks. :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a note! I love hearing what my readers have to say--in fact, comments literally make my day.

Please be nice and don't use profanities or other negative language.