More Linocut Tips

As you know from this post yesterday, I was very excited about getting finished carving my "world peas" block. So, I skipped the part where I analyze every last detail of my piece before carving, and just went for it. Ironically, I was thinking to myself how good I'd gotten at drawing everything I want backwards.

Then, I inked up the brayer and then my block and using a mason jar as a baron (another helpful, cost cutting trick), I transferred my print. I pulled the kozo paper off the block, admired my work for a little, and then to my horror, I realized I'd made a mistake!

I had made the "a's" backwards!

I considered making a new block, but then decided against it. After all, that would be a waste of a block I could use for something else. So, I set out to fix it in the best way I could and ended up with this:

It's not perfect, but I dare say, it'll do.

The lesson here? Well, normally, when I finish my sketch on the block, I hold it up to a mirror to make sure everything is satisfactory--especially my lettering. I was in a hurry, so I didn't do that. I suppose the lesson is twofold. Don't rush, and always check your block in the mirror before you carve. 

Also, like I said last time, warm up the lino with an iron. It makes it loads easier to carve.

Well, to all you carvers out there, best of luck to you. I'm still a beginning printer and I make lots of mistakes. I'm happy to say that so far, I've managed to squeeze a learning experience out of all of them. 

If you think you would be interested in buying one of these prints, let me know. I'm trying to feel the climate on opening an Etsy adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a note! I love hearing what my readers have to say--in fact, comments literally make my day.

Please be nice and don't use profanities or other negative language.