Clock Makeover


We were doing some "spring/summer" cleaning at home, and put some stuff aside to donate to Salvation Army. In the process I found this clock. It's old, kind of ugly, and had this weird pendulum thing attached to the bottom... (I took off the pendulum because it served no purpose other than looking odd.)

The shape and hands of the clock were still alright, and I've been wanting a clock to put in me and my sister's bathroom. So, I decided to refurbish this clock into something a little better.

First, I took apart the clock frame. There were screws in the back that attached the frame and glass to the rest of the clock. Then I took off the hands. I wasn't sure of how to go about this, but I found these directions to be very helpful.

Using a compass (you know, the thing from geometry class that you draw circles with), I cut out a piece of scrapbook paper to the exact size of the face of the clock. Then I used an Exacto knife to cut a small hole in the middle of the paper to fit over the hand-piece. (Sorry for the lack of pictures... but I'm sure you can do without...)

Then, I marked the new clock face paper with the numbers and little flowers for each hour. I used double sided Scotch tape to adhere the new face on, and then I put the hands back on the clock.

Next, I spray painted the outer frame to be a nice blue and white mixture.

After it was dry, I assembled the clock, and it looked like this:
TA-DAH!

And that is how you can transform an ugly clock into something a little bit nicer, and much more personal.

Have fun!

3 comments:

  1. Mel the Crafty ScientistApril 9, 2014 at 12:34 PM

    So it took me until around the end of time, buuuuuut, I wanted to tell you that we did start a little club... sort of. Caroline of c.w. frosting and I started a little directory of crafty scientists because we are pretty awesome and should know who is out there... and we've finally gotten the linky fixed and would love to have you join us! Check it out here. : )


    -m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel the Crafty ScientistApril 9, 2014 at 12:34 PM

    Love your blog (all of your design is just gorgeous!) and this project - so creative and fun! Just wanted to let you know I featured it in my roundup of clock re-dos and makeovers here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )

    -Mel the Crafty Scientist

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mel! I appreciate it. :0)

    Also, crafty scientists rock! (We should start a club.)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a note! I love hearing what my readers have to say--in fact, comments literally make my day.

Please be nice and don't use profanities or other negative language.