Defining Hipsters and Counting Blessings

A couple of weeks ago, I was walking in downtown Philly with my roommates. I think we were grocery shopping at Reading Terminal Market (which is too crowded for effective shopping in my point of view).

Anyway, on this walk, our conversation wandered to the topic of hipster-dom. The central point of this conversation was, "What makes a hipster a hipster?"

The definition of hipster ranged everywhere from "people who do drugs," to "people who wear way-too-skinny skinny jeans." For me, the definition of a hipster is reflected in my drawing above. Strips, thick scarves, cardigans, glasses (fake ones), bangs, cute (but not something I would wear) head adornments. 

Frankly, I'm pretty sure I'll never know the true meaning of hipster, despite going to school surrounded by "hipster-ish" peers. I think I'll settle with my generalized opinion and call it good. 


On a different note, I've decided this week that I need to keep better track of the good things that happen to me. So, here's a quick list of things I'm thankful for that happened this past week:

1. I got to go to H-Mart (a Korean grocery store) and stock up on Korean food! I'd been craving it so badly since I got here, it was getting kind of sad.

2. I had the opportunity to have some really meaningful conversations. This is something that really doesn't happen in a college schedule unless you make time for it. Thankfully, I've had some time.

3. I'm surviving my course load! With 23 hours of class a week, I wasn't sure I'd be able to hold up... but almost a month in, and I'm still kickin'.

4. I started watching Pushing Daisies for the first time, and I'm rather smitten by it.

5. I got to go to a very fun concert with one of my dear friends. I'd never heard of David Wax Museum or The Last Bison before, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it!

6. I got to babysit! And not only did the family have kids (duh), they also had a dog!!! (No lie, the dog might have been more exciting than the kiddos). 

Those are just a few of many good things that happened this week. I'm hoping that by taking time to recognize these things in my life, I'll appreciate them more. Simple concept, right?

What are you thankful for this week? And also... how do you define the ambiguous label of "hipster-dom"?

4 comments:

  1. See, I think the people you were talking with confused hipsters and hippies! Hipsters are those who wear skinny jeans, scarves, bold glasses, blunt hair, love facial hair, love plaid, Toms, hybrid cars, quirky music like She & Him and Mumford & Sons, enjoy foodie culture, sometimes choosing trendy dietary choices like veganism,


    I was sad when Pushing Daisies was cancelled! Good choice. Such an interesting show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There you go, Aubrey! You clearly know what you're talking about. I definitely agree that my roommates definition of a hipster does sound rather similar to that of a hippy. :0)


    And it is so sad! I have a knack for choosing to watch wonderful show that have already been cancelled. Same thing happened with Arrested Development...

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOOD LORD! 23 hours!?! I did not realize... Bravo Lauren! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kylee. I'm trying my best, and am barely keeping up (but I'm managing). We should talk soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a note! I love hearing what my readers have to say--in fact, comments literally make my day.

Please be nice and don't use profanities or other negative language.