Faith // Three Things to Remember When We're Stressed or Anxious





I have dealt with a lot of stress and anxiety in the past two years. I can trace the beginnings of this to when I started undergrad as a pre-med (which is not for the faint of heart, let me tell you). Because finals season is around the bend, I thought I would compile a quick list of truths that have been important for me during times of stress. Obviously, these apply to non-college students as well. 

My hope is that by writing these down, I will remember them when the inevitable hits in a few weeks. Hopefully, instead of going into full on "I-am-gonna-fail-and-live-in-a-cardboardbox-forever" mode, I will be able to remember these truths and keep them closer when I need them most. 

So, here are a few (hopefully) helpful things to remember when that big exam or job interview is coming up. (Or whatever else is stress/panic/hyperventilation inducing in your life).

1. Being surrounded by community is a good thing. I know when I'm stressed my first instinct is to lock myself away in my apartment. But, if I'm by myself, I often am able to convince myself that my problems are worse than they really are. Being intentional about not going into isolation ensures that there will be people around you to speak truth in the situation. 

"Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up!"
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
2. Worrying won't change the past, or future–so we should just stop! I worry way more than I should, but in the end it doesn't do anything. Worrying doesn't help me to score well on an exam. Neither does it determine how the next day or week or year will go. I think I often use worry as a metric for how important something is to me, or how crucial I believe it is.

The truth here is that God tells us not to worry, and assures us that he will always provide the things we need. He knows what's important to me (or maybe better yet, He knows what's important for me). It's up to us to trust that he will provide.

"And he said to his disciples, 'Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing... Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you."
Luke 12: 22, 23, 31
3. Last, God has a plan for us, and regardless of all our planning, in the end His will is what will stand. Not ours. His. I suppose this can be both discouraging and uplifting, depending on how you interpret it. I see it as this–that if it's God's will that will pan out anyway, there are certain details of my life that are not worth stressing over.

"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand."
Proverbs 19:21

8 comments:

  1. What truth in this! I remember this time of year as a university student, but I wasn't pre-med so I'm sure you've got a ton more stress! I love each of these points, what beautiful reminders!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting, Chantel! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for linking up with us!!! Such a beautiful post, Ecclesiastes has always been one of my favorite books. :) looking forward to your posts in the coming weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh I can totally relate to all of these points. I'm totally an isolator and can relate because I'm an PhD student! Thank you for linking up and adding us to your sidebar! Looking forward to your future posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I definitely worry so often even though I know I shouldn't. And isn't it great that His way is so much better than our own?! Knowing that should help us to not worry :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Cassie! It's finals season, so we'll see how much posting gets done. Haha!


    And Ecclesiastes is one of my favorites too! My church did a great series on it last year that really gave me a better understanding of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed! It's just so easy to forget!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Introverted university students unite! :0)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a note! I love hearing what my readers have to say--in fact, comments literally make my day.

Please be nice and don't use profanities or other negative language.